Mayor Brandon Johnson on Friday blocked a city council plan that would have banned hemp-derived THC products across Chicago, keeping delta-8 drinks and edibles on store shelves and inside the United Center for now.
The veto means fans heading to Bulls and Blackhawks games this season can still buy the buzzy canned drinks that exploded in popularity over the last two years. Lawmakers wanted an immediate citywide ban, but Johnson said the move would kill jobs and hurt small businesses without solving real problems.
Why the Council Wanted a Ban
Aldermen who backed the crackdown pointed to rising youth use and a flood of complaints about corner stores selling potent gummies to teens. They argued the products skirt state cannabis laws because they come from hemp, not traditional marijuana plants.
The ordinance, led by South Side Ald. Ray Lopez, passed 34-15 last month. It would have shut down sales of anything containing delta-8, delta-10, THCA, or other hemp-derived intoxicants starting January 1.
Critics called the drinks “gas-station weed” and blamed them for sending several Chicago Public Schools students to the hospital last school year. One North Side high school reported six teens needed medical help after sharing a single beverage bought nearby.
Johnson’s Pushback: Jobs Over Quick Fix
Johnson returned the measure unsigned Friday with a nine-page veto message. He stressed that 187 mostly minority-owned businesses now sell these products legally under federal rules.
“We cannot balance our budget on the backs of small entrepreneurs who followed the law,” the mayor wrote. He added that a sudden ban would wipe out millions in city tax revenue at a time when Chicago faces a $1 billion budget hole next year.
The mayor also noted the federal government already plans to close the hemp loophole. A new FDA rule set for late 2025 will treat all THC products the same, regardless of whether they start as hemp or marijuana.
United Center Deal Stays Alive
The veto keeps alive a sponsorship agreement between the United Center and a major delta-8 brand. Cans of the lightly intoxicating seltzer were set to appear at concession stands this season, complete with bright signage near the court and ice.
Team officials confirmed Friday the drinks will still flow when the Bulls open preseason next week. Each can contains 5 milligrams of delta-8 THC, about half the strength of a typical marijuana gummy sold in Illinois dispensaries.
Fans 21 and older must show ID, and sales stop after the third quarter, following the same rules used for beer.
What Happens Next at City Hall
Overriding the veto requires 34 votes, the exact number the original ban received. At least four aldermen who voted yes last month now say they will switch sides after meeting with neighborhood store owners.
That math makes an override unlikely when the council meets October 30. If members sustain the veto, hemp-derived THC stays legal in Chicago until the federal crackdown hits.
Bigger Picture Across Illinois
Chicago’s fight mirrors battles playing out statewide. Springfield lawmakers failed to pass a similar ban during the spring session after heavy lobbying from gas-station chains and hemp farmers in southern Illinois.
Gov. JB Pritzker has stayed quiet on the issue. His office says he will follow whatever rules federal regulators finalize next year.
Retail sales of delta-8 products topped $150 million in Illinois last year, according to state tax records. Most of that money came from corner stores and smoke shops in Black and Latino neighborhoods that never qualified for the limited number of legal marijuana dispensary licenses.
Johnson closed his veto letter with a promise to work on real safeguards instead of blanket bans. He wants stricter age checks, potency caps, and random testing of store products to catch anything laced with dangerous chemicals.
For now, the drinks stay on the menu, both at neighborhood bodegas and inside one of the country’s biggest arenas.
The mayor’s decision hands a clear win to business owners and adult consumers who argue the products offer a milder, cheaper option than dispensary weed. At the same time, parents and school leaders worry the easy access sends the wrong message to kids.
One thing everyone agrees on: the fight over hemp THC is far from over, and the next big move will come from Washington, not City Hall.
